A 1971 founding document established CUNY BA and a University Committee to coordinate and guide the development of the new program.
On June 23, 2003 the CUNY Board of Trustees approved a resolution, which modified the original founding document and a year later, on June 28, 2004, it was amended:
a. The University Committee on the CUNY Baccalaureate Program shall be composed of fourteen (14) members and two (2) alternates as follows:
- the President of The Graduate School and University Center or his/her designee,
- the Executive Vice Chancellor for Academic Affairs or his/her designee,
- a CUNY college president is chosen by the Council of Presidents for a one-year term or his/her designee,
- six (6) faculty members and two (2) alternates from different colleges and different disciplines chosen by CUNY BA and confirmed by the University Faculty Senate for staggered [two] three-year terms, and
- five (5) CUNY Baccalaureate students nominated by the Academic Director and approved by the University Student Senate for one-year terms.
- Each academic year, the University Committee shall elect a chairperson from among the Committee’s faculty members.
b. The University Committee on the CUNY Baccalaureate Program shall be the governing body of the CUNY Baccalaureate Program. It shall advise the Academic Director of the CUNY Baccalaureate Program on the administration, coordination and development of the Program. The faculty members of the University Committee shall be responsible for recommending the awarding of degrees to the CUNY Board of Trustees. The faculty members of the University Committee shall also be responsible for approving the general requirements of the degree and hearing and deciding academic appeals from students, except that grade appeals on courses offered by the individual colleges shall be subject to the grade appeal procedures of the respective colleges.
Students interested in serving on this Committee should contact the Academic Director. Each academic year, the University Committee elects a chairperson from among the Committee's faculty members.
Dr. John Verzani
Chair, University Faculty Senate
Designee: Dr. Mo Matarese
Executive Committee, University Faculty Senate
Wendy F. Hensel
Executive Vice Chancellor and University Provost
Designee: G. Michael Guy
University Associate Dean for Undergraduate Studies
Dr. Robin L. Garrell
President of The Graduate Center
Designee: Brian A. Peterson
Dean for Academic Initiatives and Strategic Innovation, Senior Vice President of Administration and Finance
Dr. Dara Byrne
Dean, Macaulay Honors College
Prof. Margaret Carroll (Chair)
Medgar Evers College
Prof. Sharona A. Levy
Speech Communication Arts and Sciences
Prof. Joanne Spurza
Classical and Oriental Studies
Prof. Emily Tai
Queensborough Community College
Prof. Gerald VanLoon
New York City College of Technology
Brandon Kim, Hunter College
Jashua Rojas, Baruch College
Yaritza Sencion, Lehman College
The University Committee typically meets twice a semester, in September/October, December, March, and May.
Meeting agendas will be made available here two weeks prior to each scheduled meeting.
Minutes of University Committee meetings are available upon request.