Taking Graduate-Level Courses

Qualified students may take some graduate courses as part of their CUNY BA undergraduate program. Policies about admission of undergraduates into graduate courses vary from campus to campus and from discipline to discipline; students must comply with those policies.

You must also obtain CUNY BA’s permission to take graduate-level courses; permission is granted to students who have GPAs of at least 3.00, no open grades, and have their mentor-approved Area(s) of Concentration on file with CUNY BA.

If you are applying for graduate-level courses at your home college, use this form: https://cunyba.cuny.edu/wp-content/uploads/graduate_course_permission.pdf. Otherwise, use the CUNY ePermit system; CUNY BA’s approval of the ePermit serves as the program’s approval to take the course.

Any student that received an incomplete grade in a graduate level course must successfully complete the course in order to be eligible to graduate. CUNY BA records will not be finalized with any open grades.

Be advised that graduate programs rarely apply graduate-level courses taken to satisfy requirements for undergraduate degrees toward graduate degree requirements.

Attention students taking courses at the Graduate Center: Once you register for courses, you must get proof of registration and obtain a Graduate Center ID card so you can have access to the library and a computer account.